Saturday, September 28, 2002

Friday Five

1. Would you say that you're good at keeping in touch with people?
No. I want to be, I try to be, I wish I were. I am lousy at keeping in touch on a regular basis. I have a hard time making small talk and can't seem to get beyond small talk in letters or even e-mails which I do more regularly. That is part of why I started this blog. My feeble attempt to give my closest family and friends a more intimate look at my life. Unfortunately, very few of them read it.

2. Which communication method do you usually prefer/use: e-mail, telephone, snail mail, blog comments, or meeting in person? Why?
Each of these methods has it's pros and cons for me. I like e-mail because it is quick and easy to send. However, I am not good about staying on top of who I owe e-mails to and then I get overwhelmed. I like to hear real voices but I don't like paying phone bills or actually making calls (I always feel like I am interrupting something). I enjoy how intimate and personal a real, pen-and-paper letter feel, but I rarely find the time to sit and write one. Blog comments are quick and easy and immediate, but they lack the intimacy. And meeting in person for a chat and a meal is always the best, but everyone lives so damn far away. What can I say? I have lots of excuses and that is all they are. I have issues! : )

3. Do you have an instant messenger program? How many? Why/why not? How often do you use it?
I have ICQ, MSN and Yahoo accounts that I have just recently started using again. I didn't use them for a long time because of the dial-up connection issue. Even now I don't use them much. I have very few contacts and the person I started using them for is now my hubby and I don't have to rely on IMs for daily contact with him! I do talk to Joie and Amy fairly often, but that's about it.

4. Do most of your close friends live nearby or far away?
What friends? Kidding...I have some good friends who live here in town and then I have a few who live far away. I can count all the close friend in my whole life together without taking off my socks, however. I am not good at developing personal relationships, so when I make a connection with someone it is very important to me. You would think that would make me better at staying in touch. No...it just makes me miss them more when we lose touch. I'm a wierdo.

5. Are you an "out of sight, out of mind" person, or do you believe that "distance makes the heart grow fonder"?
I guess I would be a "DMTHGF" kind of person. Esp. since I am also a romantic and being away from someone for awhile makes my memory of them take on a decidedly rosey tint.

No comments: