Saturday, August 31, 2002

Driving to the in-laws the other day, Mikey and I discussed the whole "killing is wrong all the time" statement that I made on my blog a few days ago. The argument was presented that self-defense is something that is inately human and so something that should be excluded from that statement. I, however, still feel that killing is wrong. That no matter what the reason, if you intentionally kill someone (in this I include things like drunk driving and the like...crimes commited due to a lack of caring for your fellow person), you have done something wrong. Ghandi and Martin Luther King, Jr. had it right when they preached non-violence. The only way to stop the cycle is to refuse to be drawn into it. To be strong enough to stand for your principles even in the face of death. I cannnot claim to be that strong. I do think that if, by some miracle, a large number of people could collectively agree to commit to a 100% non-violent lifestyle it would eventually (and I am talking several generations) make a major difference. In the last 200 years we have gradually grown more and more accepting of violence in our day to day lives. We have come up with excuses and justifications and we have taught our children to do the same thing. In the last month I have seen two news stories that illustrate my point well. In one case, a van full of teenage judo students foiled a would be highjacker by beating him up and restraining him until the police arrived. I was disturbed by the joy in their faces as they talked about kicking and punching him. I am glad that they are safe and that they stood up for themselves, but I think it was taken to an extreme. The second case was even less acceptable to me. A group of parents took it upon themselves to beat the crap out of a man they suspected had molested a child a few days beforehand. They spotted him in the park and instead of relying on the police they went vigilante on his ass. Again, I can understand their feelings and motivations. I would have been furious too. But I still think that it is a case of two wrongs not making a right. I was disappointed when the article implied that they were heros instead of punishing them in some way for harming another human being (no matter how scummy that human is, he is still innocent until proven guilty in this country). Now, I know that there are all kinds of passionate emotions that take over a person when children are threatened. I have devoted my life to protecting children. But I think it is for the childrens sake, more than anything else, that we need to change this acceptance of violence as a way of solving our problems. I know that it won't happen in my lifetime, if ever, but I truly think the only way that is truly going to change is what I mentioned before. Enough people commiting to a completely non-violent lifestyle. Enough people willing to sacrifice themselves for their beliefs. Enough people who can understand that it is going to get worse before it gets better and that they can't give up because of that. Because we aren't going to change the people who are out there now commiting violent acts. We need to focus on our children, teaching them - and more importantly - showing them, that violence is wrong and not to be resorted to in any situation. Would it work? I think it could. Will it happen? No. Too many people value their own lives over the good of the species. And I am one of them. What can I do about it? Nothing, aside from trying to change my own behavior. God help us all.

No comments: