Saturday, August 24, 2002

I wanted to reply to JB's comments, but I figure it is better to do it here than in a comment box...there is a 2500 word limit, you know! : )

First, I want to say that I don't have an issue with teaching opposing ideas. My problem is that they aren't teaching enough opposing ideas. I say teach our kids that there are LOTS of ideas and lots of theories...that is, after all, what they all are - even evolution. But to say that what they are doing is balanced? I really don't think it is. Balanced between those two ideas, perhaps, but considering that there are dozens - if not hundreds - of creation stories and theories out there I find this very unbalanced. I see it as an attempt of the majority to once again push their beliefs on the minority.

Granted, I look at the whole thing from a different point of view than many. I have no organized religion. I have my own faith and belief system and it isn't connected to any one writing or building or organization. I don't need to convince anyone else in the world that what I believe is true. Unfortunately, I think most organized religions inherently have a need to convert and defend. If they don't there is the chance they will lose their members to other religions, especially children, who are very impressionable and curious about things. Hence the desire to teach their own beliefs in public school without including those of any other religion. How can it possibly be okay to teach the Christian creation theory without also covering that of the Native Americans and the Hindus and Atheists?

Since I haven't read the particular letter JB is refering to I am not going to attempt to argue the whole church vs state issue. I will read it and get back to you. However, for the time being I am going to stick with my understanding that in the Constitution it states that we have a freedom of religion in this country. I do not buy into the Christian religion and I feel that being forced to learn (or teach, for that matter) creationism as the ONLY ALTERNATIVE to evolution is a violation of that right. Sure, present it to me as one of many theories (in a Origin of Life Theories class) and tell me to think about it and decide what works for me, but don't say we need to balance our Science classes and then give me the choice of evolution or creation. (Neither of which has been, or probably ever will be, proven in a way that removes all doubt from my mind.)

Okay...I feel like I am drifting. I have been working on this post for an hour (sad, isn't it?) and I am not saying exactly what I want to say. I will keep trying. Maybe. I much prefer this kind of discussion in person. I am a better talker than writer. Off to dinner with the in-laws. 'Night, all.

No comments: