Wednesday, August 07, 2002

So...what have we done? We went to a Luau last night and I ate poi. That is a goopy dip sort of thing that is made of boiled and ground up Taro root. It used to be a staple for the natives. It has very little taste and the consistence of very thin gruel. It was not yummy. There were hula dancers and a fire dancer. It was something else!

We went to the Kilauea lighthouse and saw lots of birds and panoramic views which promply killed my camera and ruined a whole roll of brand new film. I replaced the battery, but didn't get any of the amazing shots I wanted. Stupid technology.

We tried to snorkle again, but the choppy waters made everything very murky. We did get to see a family of angelfish-type fish. There were a couple big ones (about the size of a half-dollar) and a whole bunch of little ones (about the size of a penny). I was not comfy with the amount of pushing the waves were doing and I didn't like not being able to see more than a couple feet in front of me...I am a big pansy and there are scary things that live in the ocean!

All in all, we have had a blast here! We have done just about everything I wanted to do (I would love to go kayaking and take a helicopter tour, but we need to be much wealthier for those adventures!) and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Now we are ready to head home and see our beloved kitties. They have been alone for 12 days and we need to give them some lovin! We are both ready to get back to work too. Hopefully, there will be a message on our answering machine saying that they want to interview me for that 5th grade position at NVES and they will hold it until I call them back! : )

No comments: