Friday, August 23, 2002

OH, OH, OH...and here is something that set me off in a BIG way!!!
(from p A3 of the 8/24/02 edition of The Californian)

"Amid angry debate among parents, Georgia's second-largest school district adopted a policy Thursday night that would require teachers to give a "balanced education" about the origin of life, giving equal weight to evolution and biblical interpretations."

I can't even imagine. What about seperation of church and state? I could get behind this (and most people wouldn't) if it were saying that we had to equally teach all creation stories...almost. I am all for people learning about a multitude of beliefs and developing understanding and acceptance of people who are different. I really liked my classes in college that discussed a variety of religions. But to say that evolution isn't the only option and then only expand it to evolution and Christianity? Give me a break? That isn't acceptable in any way, shape or form. How can they even begin to justify that? Well, here's how...

"Members of the Cobb County Board of Education said they were not restricting the teaching of evolution or encouraging the teaching of creationism, but that the policy was simply a reflection of the distric's philosophy of teaching a wide and objective range of ideas (italics are mine)..."

Wide and Objective. Right.

No comments: