Friday, August 09, 2002

Why is it that people can have so much patience with some and none whatsoever with others? On our return flight I saw several altercations between one of the attendants and an elderly passenger who had obviously lost some of his faculties. In one instance, he tossed his empty cup at her cart as she went past. She stopped, bent over and said "No! We do not throw things! You could have hurt someone." in much the same voice you would use for a three year old. I was okay with this as she was obviously just trying to make it understandable. It was her saying, quite audibly, to the next passenger "That was a new one!" and rolling her eyes that bothered me. And later this same elderly man got lost on his way back from the bathroom. He went down the wrong side of the plane. She explained that he was at the wrong seat and showed him where his seat was. Again, quite appropriate. Until I heard her response to his apology - "I was going to say it would be nice for you to say you were sorry!" in a snippy tone. The whole thing was a little un-nerving to me. I dislike seeing rudeness at all and when it is someone who is unable to help it I dislike it even more. Some people are just not cut out for the kinds of jobs that require human interaction!

No comments: