Friday, August 23, 2002

She did it again today. I was sitting with Kaitlyn while I read the comics to her (try reading and explaining the comics - even the really simple ones - to a child someday...it's not easy!) and she leans up close to me and says "Sometimes it's good to die." I have to admit that one threw me for a loop. I asked her to explain. She settled in and told me all about how in a certain video game you reached a point where you have accomplished your goal in a particular area and need to go a long way back. The best way to do it was to die and you would come back closer to where you needed to be. Again, she is walking on territory that has been trampled by the feet of a million philosophers without realizing it. I know this is a simple thought for her and has no connection to real life for the moment. I just wonder if it was a passing thought that will never again come to her mind or if this is something that is going to sit in the back of her mind and affect her future thoughts in a subtle way. Fascinating.

No comments: