Friday, August 23, 2002

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
From the Afterward (p 179)
"In sum, do not insult me with the beheadings, finger-choppings or the lung-deflations you plan for my works. I need my head to shake or nod, my hands to wave or make a fist, my lungs to shout or whisper with. I will not go gently onto a shelf, degutted, to become a non-book."

This is a wonderful thing for an author to say, but I think it is also appropriate for all of us these days. We are being beheaded, chopped and deflated with every passing day. We are handing over basic freedoms without a whisper because to abject is to declare yourself unAmerican. We are allowing our government to mistreat and manhandle innocent people because they share skin tone or religion with those we dislike. It is an insult.

No comments: