Friday, August 16, 2002

Okay...before I forget what I am thinking about this...

I hate to admit it, but tonight I agreed with Bill O'reilly. GASP. He was interviewing (if that is what you call his pushy manner of carrying on a conversation) a man who was an advocate for reparations. Money for African Americans who are decendants of slaves. Bill said that it would cause a "major backlash" against black americans and was a very bad idea. I have to say that I agree. I find it a disturbing idea that people today seem to think that the only way to get past hurt or unjury or death is to put a monetary value to it. Getting money is nice, but it is not going to change the past. It is not going to suddenly cause all the little black children and little white children around the world to join hands and sing "We are the World". It is going to cause a huge resurgence of the kind of hatred that spawned the KKK. It is going to take us millions of miles away from any kind of peace between races. I can't think of a better way to drive a wedge between people of different colors. And just how do they think they are going to do it? Do you have to have a certain percentage of African blood in you? Do you need to have a certificate that proves that your relatives were slaves? And what about the people that are decended from both sides of this argument? I realize that this is a huge issue and that slavery was a horrible, terrible, wrong thing. It is wrong for any one group to claim superiority over and ownership of another. I also realize that there are many people out there who still chafe at the injustice of it. But this is not the answer.

And while I was typing this idiot was speaking...
Family Research Counsil President, Ken Conner says that we know "from literature and research" that gays and lesbians are dangerous to our children and should not be allowed to mentor them as part of the Big Brother, Big Sister Program. As we all know they are more likely to "abuse or recruit children to their way of life". OMG. I can't even fathom the shriveled up, twisted, ignorant mind that would produce statements like that and think that they are protecting our future. Kudos to the BB,BS program for demanding that all their chapters evaluate their volunteers on personality, character and ability to relate to children rather than their sexual orientation.

No comments: