Friday, August 23, 2002

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
Upon Escaping the City (p 144)

"He stood breathing, and the more he breathed the land in, the more he was filled up with all the details of the land. He was not empty. There was more than enough here to fill him. There would always be more than enough."

This passage made me think of Acidman, JB, Jake (my neighbor and best friend while growing up), my dad, my father and all the others I know who really appreciate the environment. Not in a tree-hugging, save-the-whales, lobby washington kind of way. In a sleep-under-the-stars, live-off-the-land, appreciate-all-living-things kind of way. I am so glad there are people like that out there and I am greatful that I have had the luck to know so many of them. I am slowly working toward being filled with less materialistic junk and more land, but it is a slow process. Fortunately, there will "always be more than enough" to fill me up...no matter how long it takes me. I hope.

No comments: