Saturday, August 09, 2003

It is too hot to live today. Fortunately, I have been spending most of the day with Death and his apprentice, Mort. Terry Pratchett is funny. If you liked The Hitchhiker's Guide (by Douglas Adams, possibly the funniest author in all of history) you will enjoy Mr. Pratchett's style. I am currently reading "Mort", my first adventure into Discworld, but definitely not my last. Thanks to my father for sending htis book home with me. And lucky for him I didn't read it until now, because I would have absconded with most of his collection.

Random selections from "Mort":

"To Mort it was rather like going for a walk after a really bad thunderstorm - everything was quite fresh, nothing was particularly unpleasant, but there was a sense of vast energies just expended."

"...Cutwell had learned once again that one universal manifestation of raw, natural magic thoughout the universe is this: that any domestic food store, raided furtively in the middle of the night, always contains, no matter what its daytime inventory, half a jar of elderly mayonnaise, a piece of very old cheese, and a tomato with white mold growing on it."

"...with some of the more distressing pages clamped shut, (although on quiet nights he could hear the imprisoned words scritching irritably inside their prison, like a spider trapped in a matchbox...)"

"They heard him cross the library floor as though he had a grudge against it, and slam the door behind him."

Enough. You know you are interested. Go read the whole book. It makes more sense. Kind of. :)

No comments: