Monday, August 04, 2003

This morning I had my first official guitar lesson! I was so excited about it that I had nightmares last night. Not like the one I woke up sobbing from the other night, but my usual "I had something important happening and I missed it" nightmare. If I could consider any of my nightmares recurrent, it would be this, although it is a little different every time. If school is starting, I dream about that. If I have a plane to catch, I can't get to it to save my life. If I have an appointment, I forget all about it. I kinda like these dreams since they keep me from actually missing any of these things.

So, anyway. The lesson. My instructor is a very nice guy, originally from South Africa (so he has a nice accent), who was very easy to talk to. He prefers teaching adults and his philosophy is that you should know why you are doing what you do, not just memorize motions. Our first lesson consisted of learning the part of the guitar (very easy) and an introduction to TABS (guitar notation, basically). This is something I had studied some on my own and it was nice to learn that I had been doing it right. I was given a song to practice (Remember learning "Hot Cross Buns" in Jr. High band? It's something like that.) and a hand exercise to help me learn my way around the frets. The best part is that he told me that I don't have to practice every time I pick up the guitar. He said he WANTS me to jsut play around and make noise and have fun. Of course, he also wants me to practice. But not in a way that makes it a chore. Fine by me!

I had a good time and I am happy to be learning from someone who I am comfortable with and who's teaching method I think I can really learn from. Hooray for me. Did I tell you that I am calling my guitar "Isha"? Adds yet another layer to the title of my blog. How fun.

No comments: