Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Back Home

Wow. Yesterday was a flurry of motion and activity.

We got up at 6:30 so we could go do a blood draw at 7:00. Unlike on the weekends, the lab on Monday mornings is busy! We waited around for nearly an hour before we could leave. Returning to the hotel room, I napped while the guys got things packed up. I wasn't feeling very well at all and the nap was quite refreshing.

We checked out at about 10:00 and headed to the Twin Cities where we stayed for a few hours with my Aunt Kate. She fed us grilled cheese sammies and tomato soup for lunch and let us nap on her couch. It was quite relaxing and pleasant.

Around 3:30, we got to the airport where the SkyCap guy allowed us to bribe him out of making us pay for the (4 lbs) overweight bag we had. We managed to wrangle a wheelchair ride for me to the gate. We got to go through a special security gate and everything! I remembered to wear my TED socks for the flight - in fact, they kept my legs nice and warm despite the lack of blanket. The flight went spectacularly, and I wasn't even sore until the car ride home. Between leaning the seat back and using the smooshie pillow that Pam gave me, I was able to stay at pretty much the right angle.

The ride home from the airport was not quite as wonderful. The in-laws very kindly picked us up and their vehicle is more comfortable than most, but there was no leaning back to be had and my back muscles were pretty strained. By the time we actually got home, I was pretty sore and pretty tired. We were greeted by 3 adoring kitty-cats who didn't leave the room we were in until sometime this morning. Bonsai and Huzzah were especially attentive, wanting to sleep with us and on us during the night. I managed to keep my tummy protected AND get some of Bonsai's slobbery kitty kisses at the same time. How lucky am I? :) Oh, and I slept most of the night on one side or the other, something I wasn't able to do just 2 nights ago.

You would think that after all the napping I did all day long, that I would have had trouble sleeping, but that is not the case. We tucked ourselves in at about 10:00 last night and I didn't get up until about 5 minutes ago. I am feeling pretty good, but with a little more pain than I was having before. I decided that now that the travelling is done it's time to see how much I can cut back on the pain meds. For my last dose, I took a Tylenol and 1/2 a Perc. It isn't quite as effective as a whole Perc., but definitely managable. And this way I won't be trying to do too many things too soon. A healthy reminder of my limitations isn't a bad thing right now.

No comments: