Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Physical and the Emotional

You know how Amy had leakage from her incision? Well, since that happened I have become quite nervous about my own incision. This is not helped by the fact that my right side remains much more swollen than the left and my whole abdomen continues to be swollen and tender. I called the Mayo today and talked to a nurse coordinator (mine being off today, of course!) who said that things were probably just fine, but that it wouldn't hurt anything to go see my regular doctor. She mostly said this after I told her that I was unable to control the pain with just Tylenol, something she said I should be able to do by now. So, I called and made an appointment with my local doctor for Monday afternoon and then I took a nap. I am going to see if the Tylenol isn't more effective if I take it regularly (harder to do in the night when I am sleeping) during the day in the meantime. Mostly I just need to be careful not to freak myself out about the things in my head.

I noticed while I was talking to the nurse that I was on the brink of tears. It seems that there is some emotional flotsam and jetsome floating around in my head afterall. I was starting to wonder. It seems to be linked most strongly with the continued discomfort and boredom that comes from forced relaxation. Unfortunately, the idea of crying still seems too physically painful! Guess that will have to wait for some time.

No comments: