Tuesday, December 14, 2004

More about My Health

I know you are all sick to death of listening to me talk about how I feel, but this is my blog and that is all I think about these days, so that's the way it goes.

Today was a big step on the staircase to recovery. In the days right after the surgery I was amazed at how much better I felt each morning. Then I got home and things seemed to plateau a bit. I have 2 or 3 days of feeling pretty much the same and then suddenly make a leap. Today was one of those leaps.

I tossed and turned last night, as usual, looking for a comfortable position, but I woke up feeling better than ever. I am finding myself needing less and less assistance in getting up from a prone position, which tells me that my stomach muscles are starting to do some of their fair share of the work. I got myself some breakfast and then I worked on writing out certificates for the students in my class who are going to be recognized this Friday. The sub could have done it, but it means more for it to come from me. I was feeling so good when I finished that little project that I started working on the massive pile of "thank you" cards I have to write. Still feeling energetic, I decided to take the certificates over to school myself.

I'm sure if you have ever had to recover from something, you know that the most tiring thing isn't necessarily going somewhere, but having to explain to people over and over how you are feeling. This was one of the reasons I had previously avoided going to school during working hours. I knew I would have to go over the whole procedure with each person who I met in the halls, not a bad thing, just a tiring one. And so it went. I saw tons of people, got lots of hugs, and answered the question "How are you feeling?" about a zillion times.

I then spent a little time with my students. They were in the process of studying for tomorrow's social studies test, so I let them go on with their work, but several of them kept looking back at me and smiling. They took great pride in showing off all the information they had learned in my absence. (I can't say strongly enough how much I appreciate my sub. She did a fabulous job.) As they left for lunch, I had a joyful little crowd around me, each wanting to give me a hug and tell me some of their news. I had forgotten how many of them there were and how sweet they all are. It was WONDERFUL.

The remaining visiting time was spent in the teacher's lounge, getting more hugs and chatting with my teammates. I missed that part of the day the most - the sharing of news and laughter. I am a social beast and being at home with only Mikey (exceptional though he may be) and the cats doesn't quite fulfill my socialization needs. This was the perfect antidote to the cabin fever I have been suffering from. Plus it allowed Mikey some undisturbed work time, since I drove myself there and back. I am going back on Friday for a party of sorts and I am quite excited.

The rest of my day has been filled with reading a great series and watching an old musical (sheesh, there are some pretty archaic ideas in those things) as I wait for Mikey to finish his work day. Things are definitely looking up.

No comments: