Saturday, December 04, 2004

Everything I Need to Know...

I am going to take a page from Amy's book and tell you some of the things that I have learned in the last week:

It is difficult to play board games from a prone position.

It is possible to get a shirt that says "It takes GUTS to be a kidney donor." And I look darn good in one.

After having a hole cut in your abdomen, a needle stick for a blood draw isn't so bad.

When you really need pain medication, it doesn't make you loopy.

Even if you really need it, pain medication can still wreak havoc on your powers of concentration
and organization of thought.

It is easier to handle pain when there are big positives connected to it.

Sleeping on your back is possible, but not really all that much fun.

Eventually, I can get tired of talking about myself.

Having an overfilled stomach is particularly unpleasant when your stomach is being held together with thread.

Laughter, while being the best medicine for you mind, can be incredibly painful for your body.

I am not at all concerned about having a 6 inch scar across my belly, but I am seriously hoping that the lopsidedness goes away.

I am not going to miss our cable television when it runs out this month. Not even a little bit.

And most of all...

I WAS RIGHT WHEN I TOLD PEOPLE THAT SEEING AMY FEELING BETTER WOULD MAKE ALL THIS WORTH WHILE.

Every time that I see her smile or hear her revel in eating something that was previously forbidden, it makes it that much easier to handle the little pain I have left. I'm thrilled that I can look at that happiness and know that I had something to do with it. If only I had more disposable body parts! :)

No comments: