Friday, June 14, 2002

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I have finished the school year. I am now officially beginning my vacation. I have a whole week set aside for me to do anything I want. I bet I will only last for about 4 days tho. After that I will start cleaning and organizing. But those 4 days will be fabulous!

I have been introduced to something called the Friday Five on my friend Joie's site. I think it is an interesting idea and a fun way to share information. Here's a sample:

Summer Vacations

1. What are some of the summer activities you like to do best? Why?
I love to slather on the sunscreen, put on my dopey hat and my "police officer" sunglasses, and grab a good book. Then I go out and find a spot in the sun. I read until my butt goes numb! This summer I get to do this in my very own backyard! I also like to go to the beach. I then alternate the reading with a quick dip in the ocean. Nice!

2. What is your ideal/dream summer vacation spot? Why? What makes it so special?
Anywhere that is away from chores and work. Something relatively secluded is nice. Where there aren't going to be any religious nuts or door to door salesmen knocking on my door. A small house on the beach or in the woods sounds nice to me. My parents had a cabin on a lake in Canada that had no electricity, no running water and no road access. You have to boat or ski across the lake to get there! No one bothers you and you can fire up the sauna any time you want. That is my kind of dream vacation spot.

3. What summer places or events do you avoid? Why?
I used to go to all the 4th of July celebrations, but for the last few years I have had much more fun watching from a distance. We have gone to my soon to be in-law's house and watched the fireworks from a distance of several miles. No crowd, no traffic and you can still see everything. And you can BBQ at the same time.

4. What aspects of summer frustrate you? Why? How does your life change because of summer or these frustrations?
Well, my income drops in a big way. There isn't much call for subs when school is out! Also, there are SO many kids running around. I don't have an issue with the kids themselves. I am concerned by the total lack of supervision! They are out playing in the street and getting themselves into trouble. Gotta drive slower and remember to put all the yard tools away!

5. Describe a good summer memory, perhaps one from your childhood. What made it memorable?
My favorite summer memories all include New Jersey. I know, that isn't something you often hear! I spent many summers in Manasquan, NJ swimming and tanning and playing and visiting with my grandparents and my great-grandma. We ate pizza, beach fries, seafood. We went to the boardwalk and played games and rode on the rides. We went crabbing with my dad and once, we even went out on a deep sea fishing boat. My siblings and I would spend tons of money at the arcade playing skee ball, trying to win tickets. By the end of the 2 weeks we would have enough for a pencil, a plastic snake and a piece of gum. But it was fun!

No comments: