Wednesday, June 05, 2002

I have become one of the ostrich people. I used to be so excited that I was getting older so that I could voice my opinions on important things...nukes, politics, war, you name it. I wanted to make a difference and I wanted to do it loudly. I wanted to go to rallies and make posters and shout catchy slogans. It is what I was raised to do. My graduation announcements included a picture of me at about 3 years old holding a "No Nukes" poster. I had so much potential passion.

What happened to it? Now I completely avoid the news. I bury my head in the comics and Dear Abby and occasionally the editorial pages. I don't watch the news and I don't read the headlines. I don't want to hear about or think about all the things out there that make me sad. Because I don't feel like I can make any kind of change at all. I don't want to have those heavy black clouds blocking my sunshine. I can do nothing to make them white and fluffy so I do the next best thing. I ignore them completely. I am an ostrich. And it is disappointing.

No comments: