Saturday, June 15, 2002

Topic for the Day...

If you got to know someone online, how long would it be before you trusted him/her enough to give you a phone call?

I like this question! I think that too many people pay too much attention to the sensationalized news that talks about the seriel killers that are using the web to find victims. As far as I am concerned, the people who fall victim to web pranks are the ones who fall victim to phone, tv, and back alley predators too. Surviving without being taken advantage of requires a certain amount of common sense and self-preservation (and luck) no matter where you conduct the majority of your interactions. That being said I will admit that I met my soon-to-be-husband online. We talked for hours (sometimes around the clock) everyday for nearly a month before I flew to CA to meet him in person. I think we were talking online for a week or so before we started conversing via telephone. I think most people would be surprised that I would be willing to trust someone so quickly, but I think if you ask the right questions and pay attention you can tell pretty quickly how trustworthy someone is. It worked for me! Not only do I have Mikey, but since moving to Temecula I met one of my few friends on a forum about the city. I have started talking to people that turned out to be pretty weird, but it only took a couple of minutes to decide they weren't the kind I wanted to talk to.

So, what do you think? How many online experiences have you had?

No comments: