Saturday, June 22, 2002

"Kindness was a compensation. Kindness was a reminder that my life had changed, was always changing, that people thought I should just accept all this and become strong or brave, more enlightened, more peaceful. I wanted nothing to do with that. Instead, I wanted to live my life with the same focus as most people - to worry about my children's education, but not whether I would be around to see them graduate, to rejoice that I had lost five pounds, and not be fearful that my muscle mass was eroding away. I wanted what had become impossible: I wanted to forget." Amy Tan, The Kitchen God's Wife

I read this and thought of all the people in my life who are facing life changes these days. I want to be sympathetic. I ask them how they are and try to let them know that they can tell me all their troubles. That is how I deal. I talk it out. I talk to my family, my friends, my co-workers, complete strangers...I talk it all out until it can't hurt me anymore. I numb myself to the pain like wiggling that loose tooth because each time it hurts a little more, but also a little less. It is a pain you know and can handle. I look at it head on until it doesn't make my chest tighten and my hands shake. Because once it stops affecting me I can tuck it away and pretend it isn't there. That is my reaction to emotional baggage. And I assume that everyone handles things the same way. But what if all they want is for me to pretend nothing is wrong. To go on like everything is the same and nothing is changing. Who is to say that my way is better? It is still there, like the Easter egg that hiders forgot and seekers didn't find...it is still tucked away. And it isn't getting any sweeter smelling. So why not allow them to tuck it away without worrying it? Why poke and prode and endure the flashes of fire in between the quiet moments? Why not? I honestly don't know. I will think on it. In the meantime, I will try to stop worrying other people's loose teeth. But that doesn't mean that I can stop worrying my own.

No comments: