Sunday, March 09, 2003

I can understand that there are people who support Bush and his policy regarding Iraq. I can even follow the logic that states that sometimes you need to use force to stop a criminal from harming innocents. I don't agree, but I see how people get there. I do not, however, understand people who call themselves "pro-war".

From my American Heritage College Dictionary:
War (wor) n.: A state of open, armed conflict between nations, states or parties.

This is a situation where people die. Buildings are destroyed, rivers poisoned, fields burned. War involves blood and gore and death.

Why would someone think that is a good thing? Necessary, perhaps, but good? Calling yourself pro-war is a PR nightmare. Consider yourself pro-justice or pro-humanity or pro-life (in the context not related to abortion here - that is a whole different blog post), but calling yourself pro-war makes it sound like you are all fired up at the thought of death, blood, hatred and destruction. I hope that is not what you are in support of.

No comments: