Saturday, March 08, 2003

Let's wrap this week up. These questions seem particularly appropriate...

1. How often do you get sick? Are there particular times of the year when this happens? If so, when?
Not very. I am greatful for that. Of course, that means that when I do get sick I am a big baby! I can't remember the last time I had to deal with anything more than a head cold. That is pretty lucky. I usually get sick at teh beginning of the school year. Or after any major breaks in the school year. I think I build up a good tolerance to the kiddo's germs when I am with them regularly, but after time away I always catch the latest bug. And as I mentioned before, I tend to hold off on getting sick until the weekend or a holiday break. It's like my body is capable of saying "Oh no you don't!" to the germs as long as I am busy, but the minute I have spare time it just caves in. Pathetic!

2. Do you go to the doctor when you're sick? Why or why not?
No. Because when I am sick it is usually just a head cold and there isn't really anything they can tell me. The only times I see a doctor is when I need a prescription (Cough syrup with codeine is the only thing that will stop a cough on the rare occasions that I get one and my sore throats often turn into strep.) Otherwise, I take care of myself (or Mikey takes care of me) with lots of soup, tea, sleep and Tylenol. Doctors are too expensive to use unless it's absolutely necessary.

3. What comfort things and/or foods do you seek out when you're sick? Why?
Ramen Noodle Soup. Hot chamomile tea. Buttered toast. All consumed while wrapped in comfy jammies and a warm blanket on the couch with my favorite pillow, a long book, Kleenex and the remote controls all within reach.

4. Do you take medication (prescription or over-the-counter) when you're sick? Why or why not?
I will take Aleve, Tylenol, cough syrup, or other OTC meds if I really need them. I tend to avoid antibiotics unless there is a real reason for them. I use everything with caution because I don't want to develop a tolerance and be left with nothing that can help.

5. How long do you stay typically stay sick? Do you stay home or do you go out and/or work? Why or why not?
I put myself in the shoes of the people who will be spending the day with me. If I am going to pass my illness on to them or generally be more of a problem than a help, I stay home. If I am the only one who will be inconvenienced, I go to work. But like I said before, my body usually saves it up until there is no choice.

No comments: