Thursday, March 20, 2003

I was walking my class in from recess today when I was suddenly struck by the fact that I was smiling and happy despite my overwhelming fear and sorrow. I was happy because I had been spending the day with innocents. Innocents that someday will be able to change the world. A change that I may somehow help bring about in the way I treat these innocents today. We got to our door and I turned around to give them directions as I usually do. But before telling them to get out their science books and turn to page 35, I stopped. I looked at each of them and smiled. I said "You know what? I like each and every one of you so much. I am very glad that you are in my class. You give me hope. Thank you." Then we quietly went on with our day. They will never know how much I needed their smiling faces and their questions about commas and division and the difference between liquids and solids. They will never know how they saved my spirit today.

No comments: